Lately I’ve been loving anything with a little heat. Not the kind of heat that says, “I can’t eat you because you are way to hot” but just the right heat that says “Flavor!” I came up with this tasty creation earlier this week and it was a hit in our house. And if it’s hubby approved, its approved for the blog. He’s a great taste tester and truly a huge helping in creating recipes with me. I believe it’s a recipe that will have you saying, “More salad please!
More Salad Please - Simple Spicy Taco Salad
Author: Simply My Kitchen
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cups black beans
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flake
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup peas
- ¼ cup extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups salsa, divided
- ½ cup of crushed tortilla chips (optional)(I used: The Better Chip Brand Jalapeno Flavor)
- Red Leaf lettuce
- In a large skillet, on medium heat, cook ground beef and onion together.
- When ground beef is cooked through and the onions are translucent, add garlic, black beans, cayenne, red pepper flake, salt, pepper, peas ¼ cup salsa and cheese and warm through, then set to the side.
- Add a handful or two of each spinach and red leaf lettuce to plate.
- Top with ½ cup meat mixture, ¼ cup salsa and top with tortilla chips.
- May serve warm or cold.
Salad not your thing, no worries, this recipe is great as tacos or burritos.
What are your favorite things to top on your salad? Do you have any salad dressing combos you’d like to share? I’m all ears for ideas! Please share in the comments.
Sharing today at Foodie Friends, Real Food Wednesdays, The Better Mom and Tasty Tuesday.
Grilling food on the barbeque is something I do on a weekly basis. My husband only had to show me once on how to use it and now I can’t stop. From making pancakes on a Saturday morning, to grilling homemade pizza or pesto grilled cheese sandwiches, our little grill gets a ton of use.
Not only are there benefits from grilling food, what I love most about using grilling is you have very little clean up! No pan to wash (unless making pancakes) and little utensils are required.
Making lunch for my friends is something I really love doing as well. In September I was able to have three little luncheons for some friends and it was a joy! One of the meals I made a grilled chicken salad and today I’m going to share with you the recipe.
It’s inspired by Chili’s quesadilla explosion salad, colors you would see in the fall and my husband’s love for ranch and salsa.
Here is the recipe.
Grilled Chicken Salad
Recipe type: Main, Salad
- 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup of salsa, divided
- 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning, divided
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 head of romaine
- 1 cup of corn
- 1 cup of black beans
- 3 roma tomatoes, sliced
- ¼ cup of ranch dressing
- Marinade: Place chicken breast in a storage bag or plastic container. Add ¼ cup of salsa, 2 teaspoons of taco seasoning and 2 tablespoons of olive oil to bag. Let marinate in refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up 24 hours.
- Grilling:After chicken has been marinated. Heat grill to a medium heat and add chicken to a hot grill. Cook on each side for 5-7 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Once cooked through, remove from heat, cover and set to the side.
- Salad Assembly:Tear or cut romaine and place in the bottom of a salad bowl. Top romaine with tomatoes, corn and black beans. Cut chicken into strips and place on top of salad.
- Dressing: In a small bowl place ¾ cup salsa, 1 teaspoon of taco seasoning and ¼ cup of ranch dressing. Mix together then coat salad with dressing.
- Serve promptly after making or store dressing and salad separate until ready to serve.
Sharing today at Tasty Tuesday.